What To Know
Our newest County Park was dedicated May 20, 2006
It’s 80-acres located at the north end of Lake Vermilion
on West Newell Road, Danville, Illinois
Why is Heron County Park significant?
- Wildlife viewing
- 950-foot floating boardwalk, the second largest boardwalk in Illinois
Site of a large Great Blue Heron rookery
Bald Eagle and River Otter sightings
- Sandhill Crane nesting site
- Eagle View Tower, timber-framed viewing tower, 8 and 16-foot viewing platforms, ADA accessible
- Hegeler Shelter
- Heron Park Nature Trail, one-mile self guided interpretive trail on the north side of park
- Waterfowl hunting
Eagle View Tower
The Foundation assisted with funds toward the construction of the observation tower and totally funded the ADA accessible ramp.
950ft Floating Boardwalk
Donated in 2006 by Julius W. Hegler II
Heron Nature Trail
Directly across from Heron Park Parking Lot is Heron Nature Trail. An easy, 1-mile trail winding through a tall grass prairie and along a long-standing ox-bow lake.
Blue Herons, Geese, Turtles and more!
- 30-foot timber-framed observation tower
- Walkway accessible to physically disabled